My projects, thoughts and other antics have been featured in Forbes, New York Times, The Guardian, WIRED, ZDF, ZEIT and many others as listed below.
Media mentions & contributions
- [report] A Trustmark for IoT. A ThingsCon report exploring potentials and challenges for a trustmark for the Internet of Things. Commissioned by Mozilla. (September 2017)
- Netzpolitik Konferenz: Das ist Netzpolitik! Titel: Das Internet der Dinge: Rechte, Regulierung & Spannungsfelder. (Blog post with slides and video.) (de, September 2017)
- Stories Connecting Dots: Markus Andrezak interviewed me for his podcast, episode 12, Ethics for The Internet of Things (en, 24 July 2017, blog post)
- [report] The State of Responsible IoT. A ThingsCon report and essay collection by experts from the inter-disciplinary ThingsCon community of IoT practitioners. It explores the challenges, opportunities and questions surrounding the creation of a responsible & human-centric Internet of Things (IoT). Co-publisher. (en, June 2017)
- The State of Responsible IoT: We need a more transparent Internet of Things. My essay contribution to a ThingsCon report on responsible IoT. (en, June 2017)
- [ebook] View Source: Shenzhen. An exploration of the Shenzhen hardware ecosystem & the importance of creating a responsible IoT. (June 2017)
- Jaxenter: Lean Business: Interdisziplinäre Arbeitsweise eröffnet Möglichkeiten. Interview about innovation in Shenzhen as part of my speaking at DevOps Con 2017 (de, May 2017)
- RBB Kulturradio Tagesthema: Wie intelligent sollen unsere Geräte werden? (de, Feb 2017)
- What can IoT learn from fishermen? Contributed this essay to Mozilla Foundation’s Open IoT Studio print report “Practices for a healthy Internet of Things”. Co-authored with Holly Robbins and Leonardo Amico. (Draft available here.) (Dec 2016)
- Fast Moving Targets: Video interview at ThingsCon Amsterdam about ThingsCon and responsible IoT (Dec 2016)
- Newspaper Club: The print newspaper for the London Design Festival 2016 edition of The Good Home with Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino was chosen as Newspaper Club’s Newspaper of the Month (The newspaper is available here.) (Oct 2016)
- [award] Top 100 Influencer in IoT: Postscapes kindly included me in their list of top 100 influencers in IoT, ranked at #19.
- e-180 magazine: My article Topic sprints included in We Seek, E-180’s Research & Learning print magazine (issue zero) (July 2016)
- [co-publisher] Understanding the Connected Home: Thoughts on living in tomorrow’s connected home. Second edition. Available at theconnectedhome.org and on the Kindle Store. Co-authored with Michelle Thorne. (Fully revised second edition, June 2016)
- [co-publisher] Dearsouvenir Magazine #2. Exploring travel through the stories behind souvenirs. Co-publisher. (May 2016)
- WBGU (the German federal government’s Advisory Council for Global Change): Der Umzug der Menschheit: Die transformative Kraft der Städte (Humanity on the move: The transformative power of cities). Co-authored a research paper and policy recommendations with Prof. Dr. Christoph Bieber on the role of smart cities for the 21st century, and how to make them work for citizens. Our research paper & policy recommendations (full version in German, PDF, executive summary in English) (April 2016)
- Future Magazine 2016 by VoestAlpine interviewed me about the importance of service design. p.76+ (April 2016)
- The Lovie Awards: Annual Trend Report 2016 (en, Mar 2016)
- Bosch Internet of Things: Making the IoT happen in Berlin (en, Feb 2016)
- Real Time Marketing Kompass 2015/2016 (de, Feb 2016)
- [co-publisher] Dearsouvenir Magazine #1. Exploring travel through the stories behind souvenirs. Co-publisher. (Nov 2015)
- [co-publisher] Understanding the Connected Home: Thoughts on living in tomorrow’s connected home. Available at theconnectedhome.org. Co-authored with Michelle Thorne. (Sep 2015)
- e-180 magazine: Topic sprints: The fastest way to dive into a topic (Sep 2015)
- Netzpiloten.de republished a translation of one of my articles: “Ich werde E-Bürger von Estland!” (Aug 2015)
- Kress, W&V, Turi2, Netzpiloten, UnitedNetworker, Gründerszene, Deutsche Startups: Pre-launch coverage for our new travel & shopping magazine Dearsouvenir (Aug 2015)
- Arduino blog: Casa Jasmina and Bruce Sterling at ThingsCon 2015 (May 2015)
- Overview of ThingsCon 2015 media coverage & misc links on thingscon.com
- O’Reilly interviewed me about ThingsCon and the Berlin hardware ecosystem (de, May 2015)
- BerlinLovesYou: “ThingsCon – a conference on the Internet in Things – in many Things!” (5 May 2015)
- The Thingcast: Futurice’s The Thingcast interviewed me about IoT, ThingsCon and the Berlin tech scene (Mar 2015)
- SinnerSchrader #NEXTYEAR 2015: “Internet of Things: Connecting things for fun and profit” (EN/DE. Blog post.) (Published Jan 15)
- BrandEins: “Die Alt-98er”, issue Jan 2015, p.24-30 (Published Dec 2014, blog post)
- [co-publisher] Connected: Wearables Edition. Co-edited a collection of essays about IoT & wearables with Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino and Anna Bradley, published as a 16 page newspaper during ThingsCon. (en, Oct 2014)
- [co-publisher] The Indie Conference Organizer Handbook (TICOH). A practical guide to running your very own indie conference, written with Max Krüger. (Independently published, July 2014)
- Shoplocket’s The Blueprint interviewed me about the Internet of Things, conferences, my work and (questionable?) life decisions (en, June 2014)
- IoTPedia: How to build a useful IoT product: ThingsCon Wrap-up (en, May 2014)
- [co-publisher] ConnectedIOT: Understanding the Internet of Things: Co-edited a collection of essays about the Internet of Things with Alexandra Deschamps-Sonsino, published as a 16 page newspaper during ThingsCon. (en, May 2014)
- Bosch Internet of Things: The year of the connected device, but consumer IoT startups face big challenges (en, Mar 2014)
- iBrids: Full interview here. (en, Feb 2014)
- PETS International Magazine. Full article, subscription required. (en, Feb 2014)
- Netzpiloten.de: 15 Jahre Netzpiloten, “Jemals offline gewesen?” (de, Oct 2013)
- T3N: Lead article “The Next Big Thing”, Issue #33 (de, August 2013)
- DRadio Wissen: Digitaler Salon – Open Hardware und 3D Drucken (Video) (26 June 2013)
- T3N: Lesenswerte Web Geeks (Issue #32, May 2013)
- NEXT Berlin: Interview with the curator (19 April 2013)
- REVUE: The virtuous cycle / Berlin (print, Spring 2013)
- Apotheken Umschau: “Volle Kontrolle über mich” (print, 15 Dec 2012)
- The Alpine Review: among other things, as Editor-at-Large I wrote the editorial “Berlin – The City of Now” (print, Oct 2012)
- Fit for Fun: “Selftracking – Sammel dein Leben” (print, Oct 2012)
- Weave: Essay und Interview zur NEXT Service Design (Oct 2012)
- Labor für Entrepreneurship: “High-Tech und High-Touch – Chancen für gute Entrepreneurial Designs”, interview with entrepreneurship Professor Faltin (1 June 2012)
- Forbes: Berlin Says ‘Willkommen’ to General Assembly (8 May 2012)
- WirtschaftsWoche: Die 100 wichtigsten Internet-Köpfe in Deutschland (7 May 2012)
- Deutschlandradio Wissen: Der Hype um die Startups (April 2012)
- Bayerischer Rundfunk/on3 interviewed me about the Quantified Self (6 Mar 2012)
- Deutschlandradio Kultur interviewed me about the Quantified Self: Die Vermessung des Selbst (January 2012)
- Golem (de): “Quantified Self: Wem gehört unser vermessenes Leben?”. (Jan 2012)
- Golem (de): “Quantified Self: Ich tracke, also bin ich”. (Jan 2012)
- [email protected] Radio: Derk Marseille interviewed four Berlin-based entrepreneurs about startups in Berlin [best of, my part] (August 2011)
- One+ interviewed me about Cognitive Cities and technology: Progress Through Technology (June 2011)
- The Guardian interviewed me about the opportunities of coworking for bigger corporations (21 May 2011)
- Focus (de) published my article “Wie Communities Unternehmen verbessern” about the importance of community managers for corporations (13 May 2011)
- Deskmag (en/de) interviewed me about Coworking and creativity (4 May 2011)
- Deskmag (de/en) interviewed me about Coworking, its role for the future of cities, and Cognitive Cities Conference (15 Feb 2011. Read the interview in German, English)
- WDR5 Profit (.de) interviewed me in a feature on coworking (23 December 2010, listen to the interview)
- WDR Funkhaus Europa (.de) featured the first grant we gave away through Awesome Foundation Berlin (20 December 2010, listen to the interview)
- T3N (.de) interviewed Igor Schwarzmann and me at Convention Camp about Cognitive Cities (10 November 2010, watch the interview)
- Trackback on Radio Fritz (.de) interviewed me about Smart Cities & Cognitive Cities (13 November 2010, listen to the interview)
- ZEIT Wissen interviewed me about digital communication, social media and politics (print only, ZEIT Wissen Ratgeber Nr.1 2011, Nov 2010)
- The Australian interviewed me about German broadcasters “de-publishing” content older than seven days (“Public broadcasters face online blitzkrieg, the ABC included “) (18 Oct 2010)
- WDR5 Neugier genügt spoke with me about coworking. (“Coworking Spaces – Wenn Leben und Arbeiten im gleichen Raum stattfindet”, in German) (15 Sept 2010)
- Televisio de Catalunya (TV3) spoke with me about coworking and new work. (video, in Spanish) (19 June 2010)
- ZDF Auslandsjournal did a piece on a team working at Betahaus about the future of cities (“Coworking Spaces: Bürogemeinschaft der Zukunft?” text, video). Our team was filmed to show the future of work, and how ideas are developed in a coworking context (28 April 2010).
- taz spoke with me about coworking. (video, .de) (23 April 2010) (article, blogpost)
- Trackback on Radio Fritz (.de) talked to me at re:publica 2010 about the role of web conferences (17 April 2010, listen to the interview)
- Radio Eins Escape interviewed Igor Schwarzmann and me about SXSW and location-based services (listen to the interview) (27 Mar 2010)
- On the Pl0gcast, my good friends of pl0g and Berlinblase and I geeked out for an hour about SXSW, barcamps and web trends: pl0gcast #18 – Springbreak für Geeks (23 Mar 2010)
2009 and before
- Radio Trackback (Fritz/RBB) and smartworkers.net interviewed me about atoms&bits Festival (27 Sept 09).
- Daksh Sharma interviewed me for his blog The Marketing Blog (eng.)
- Julien Sharp interviewed me for her new book “Design and Launch an Online Social Networking Business“.
- On taz.de, I said a few words about Twitter in political online campaigns.
- PoliticsMagazine.com interviewed me for a story on the impact of Obama’s campaigning on international online election campaigns.
- There’s an interview as part of Nicole Simon’s LeWeb pre-conference podcast about Berlinblase, and some more coverage about Berlinblase.
- The New York Times asked for a brief quote about web kaffeeklatsch likemind.
- There’s an interview on Radio Trackback (about Berlinblase).
Books / ebooks / other long-form
Sometimes I write something longer (articles are listed above among the other media contributions):[en][co-author] Understanding the Connected Home: Thoughts on living in tomorrow’s connected home. Second edition. Available at theconnectedhome.org and on the Kindle Store. Co-authored with Michelle Thorne. (Fully revised second edition, June 2016) [de/en][co-publisher] Dearsouvenir Magazine #2. Exploring travel through the stories behind souvenirs. Co-publisher. (May 2016) [de/en][co-publisher] Dearsouvenir Magazine #1. Exploring travel through the stories behind souvenirs. Co-publisher. (Nov 2015) [en][co-author] The Indie Conference Organizer Handbook (TICOH). A practical guide to running your very own indie conference, written with Max Krüger. (Published July 2014) [de] Bihr, Peter (2008): Weblogs und Politikjournalisten – Die Bedeutung von Weblogs für die Arbeit von Politikjournalisten. VDM Verlag Dr. Müller. Magisterarbeit, 228 Seiten. ISBN-10: 3836464292, ISBN-13: 978-3836464291. Available on Amazon.de or as a free PDF download. [en] Bihr, Peter / Praus, Thomas / Senges, Max (2007): Second Life (ISBN: 978-84-9788-609-3). Textbook for UOC Summer University course. Editorial UOC, Barcelona. English version (“Virtual Worlds – A Second Life Beginner’s Guide”) released under Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike). (Downloads and more info here.)
Questions? Feel free to get in touch.